Meet the Hines Law Team
Michael P. Hines, ESQ
Michael P. Hines received his undergraduate education at Saint Leo College, Saint Leo, Florida (BA Criminology, 1993), and his law degree from Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Juris Doctorate, 1998). He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1998 (# 0158194). Prior to becoming a defense attorney, he was an Nordstrom Coupon Code Assistant State Attorney for Duval County, Florida, as a Prosecutor assigned to the Felony Division. He regularly tried cases such as Aggravated Assault, Aggravated Battery, Burglary, Drug Offenses, Felony DUI, Escape, Kidnapping, Murder, Robbery, Theft Offenses, and all other
A criminal defense and family law attorney who understands the intricacies of these delicate cases from both sides, Hines served as a Police Detective, Master Police Officer and Field Training Officer. He came to the police academy by way of the United States Navy.
Hines has been a very active member of the community and has received many honors, including:
- Mothers Against Drunk Drivers award for outstanding victim advocacy
- Donald M. Gravatt Award: awarded to an outstanding graduate who displays compassion, fairness, and dedication to law enforcement
- Harriet Robinson Gillock Award: awarded to an outstanding graduate who most exemplifies professional and personal dedication to their fellow students and the law school community
- Class Act Award, Virginia Beach Police Department, recognized for highest DUI arrests of the Third Precinct
- Medals received while in the Navy: Good Conduct Medal, Humanitarian Service Award, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Navy Expeditionary Medal, Navy Unit Commendation
Most recently, Hines served as General Counsel for the Coastal Florida Police Benevolent Association in Daytona Beach, and before that practiced insurance defense litigation, specifically nursing home defense, as an attorney with Quintairos, McCumber, Prieto, & Wood, P.A., of Jacksonville, Florida.
Michael Hines’s areas of concentration are criminal law and family law.
Beyond his law practice, Hines is an adjunct instructor in the Criminal Justice Program at Florida Community College of Jacksonville and lives in St. Augustine with his wife and two sons.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense/Trial
- Florida, 1998
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2003
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1998, J.D.
- St. Leo College, St. Leo, Florida, 1993, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- St. Johns County Bar Association, Member
- Flagler County Bar Association, Member
- Volusia County Bar Association, Member
- Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- Criminal Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- Labor and Employment Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- The Law Offices of Michael Hines, P.A., St. Augustine & Daytona Beach, Florida Founder, 2002–Present
- Coastal Florida Police Benevolent Association, Daytona Beach, Florida,
General Counsel, 2002–2004
- Quintairos, McCumber, Prieto & Wood, Jacksonville, Florida, Associate, 2001–2002
- Duval County State Attorney's Office, Jacksonville, Florida, Felony Prosecutor,1998–2001
- Virginia Beach Police Department, Virginia Beach, Virginia, Detective, 1986-1995
- United States Navy, Norfolk, Virginia, Petty Officer First Class, 1980–1986